When you find a company like 4-rth (pronounced “for earth”) you want to believe…….
It took me a long time to find quality, somewhat affordable yoga clothes for men. I wanted them not only for yoga but because they’re comfortable for everyday use, when made with quality. When I found 4-rth online, they had some cool clothes for guys. The most interesting, different, and fashionable was the cuffed yoga short for men. People tell me I write too much (too long), so I’ll try to shortcut this with bullet points.
- I purchased the yoga shorts pictured above. Note the gray cuff around the bottom of the leg.
- When I received them, I really liked them but noticed that the cuff was orange, like the short, not gray.
- When I pointed this out, Doug Donahue (Owner, CEO?,- basically the only person that works there apparently) responded to my email as follows:
- “excellent eyes you have! 🙂 sorry about that — in that production run, that was an oversight by our production team so they all came out that way but we’ll go back to the Gray cuff in future production runs
- He also added “p.s. – we have TWO new color-ways coming out in that pant”
- Translation: “Oops – you noticed, huh. Oh well. But we have more stuff for you to buy.
- I responded to his email and told him that his response wasn’t really unacceptable. He never offered to replace them or exchange them. I explained to him how customer service worked and gave him several suggestions to make his customer service better. I gave him every opportunity to make it better. I wasn’t mean or snarky. I was honestly trying to help him. I wanted him to succeed – and I told him so.
- Doug Donahue’s response was “Please feel free to use my friends & family discount anytime — it’s good for 15% off at any time of the year! the code is: 4RTH”
- Translation: Feel free to REPURCHASE what you already thought you were purchasing – because as I said the next production run “should” be OK. And you can buy them at a 15% discount.
- So I can buy the shorts that I thought I had already did buy – at a 15% discount. How nice. And they “may or may not” arrive as shown in the picture on his web site.
- I explained that repurchasing an article of clothing, simply because what I received wasn’t as advertised, was not my idea of fixing the problem. I explained further how customer service worked. I explained that I had planned on buying many more items from 4-rth. However, since I couldn’t trust that I would get what I ordered, or that the follow up customer service would correct the problem, I simply could not do that. I gave him another opportunity to fix the problem. I had worn the shorts, but considering they were a design that he didn’t even sell, why would he want them back anyway, even if I had never worn them. All he had to do was send me the correct product, at his expense, and I would have been a happy camper. I would have been ready, willing, and able to buy more items in his men’s line AND tout his company on my blog.
This was a ridiculous exchange. Mr. Donahue should have simply fixed the problem. He sold me a product that was manufactured incorrectly. Some may say “It’s just a cuff on a pair of shorts – who cares”. Well, there are such things as false advertising, integrity, standing behind your products, and good customer service. Plus, to be honest, from a fashion standpoint, the gray contrasting cuff was what made these shorts unique.
Doug Donahue must have a huge ego for him not to just fix this – easily. He could not and would not admit that he was wrong. He sold me a product and the product I received was not like the one pictured. It’s a simple problem and a simple fix. I should not have taken many, many emails to address – only to get absolutely nowhere.
I noticed that on his web site, he has “celebrities” like singer Daughtry saying he thought the stuff was cool, and Queer Eye cast member Jai Rodriguez pictures with Doug. I’m betting if I were a celebrity the problem would have been corrected immediately. I probably would have received his entire line of clothing as a “gift”. But since I’m not a celebrity and Doug Donahue’s goal is to be rich and famous and hobnobbing with the rich and famous, he could care less about me, a lowly customer who received a product that was made wrong in the factory.
I gave Mr. Donahue many, many chances. I even told him about the power of word of mouth (or word of word). I told him I would hold back from writing anything negative about him or his company because I believed he would do the right thing to rectify the problem.
He Didn’t. And so I’m writing to let people know what they are in for if they choose to purchase merchandise from 4-rth.com. Some will think I’m just pissed off and it’s just sour grapes. I assure you that is not true. At one point I told Mr. Donahue that I had a lot of experience with online shopping and would be happy to work with him to ensure his customers were satisfied at all levels. The customer is always right and it’s a company’s job to make sure the customer is happy. I wasn’t asking for anything unreasonable – I was only asking for WHAT I HAD ORDERED AND PAID FOR.